Monday, February 12, 2024

day 1 number 1 (one)

Starting the A-Level portfolio today! Wahoo! Yay! Etc. The last project we worked on in class was the film distribution project where we were given a story developed by another student in a creative writing class, and we had to create a trailer, teaser, poster, and distribution plan for it. I did not like it very much admittedly, so I feel my work on it was subpar. But now I get to work on a project I do care about and want to explore! Yay! Etc. 

I've been thinking about this project for a little while, brainstorming idea, and jotting down any random thoughts that come to me, and since last year's project, I've had in my mind of doing a short film this year. It was in between that or the film promotion option, and after my non-liking of the film distribution project, I'm certain I want to do a short film. What the story is I'm not sure yet, but I do have some idea of the theme I want to present. I want to explore how there is no correct path to live life, there is no perfect life, and that we all have to quit moping or trapping ourselves, we must live life. We have to take chances and opportunities, we can't miss out on living out of fear or sadness or whatever. It's an important theme to me, one I find to be explored greatly in the pieces Everything Everywhere All at Once, Mind Game, and The Tatami Galaxy. I think I may be due for a re-watch of all of these to refurbish my mind in all of its themes. I'm not sure how I want to approach this concept, but I do know I want to make it really, really weird. Making it weird brings a certain charm, uniqueness, and freshness to the exploration of these themes that may be boring to sit through if not for presenting it in a maybe outlandish way. I also really want this to be good haha. Something in my brain clicked and I decided to really put my all into this project. I was recommended by a friend to rent out high quality cameras and equipment at a local place called BEECON (or something along those lines) and I definitely plan on doing so when production starts. 



                                    (Random thoughts in my notes app)


I found an article that discusses The Tatami Galaxy at length, it's called The Tatami Galaxy - Life Does Not Have to Sparkle to be Beautiful by Starkfyre. It has two quotes which I think really encapsulate my idea for the film, "A perfect life does not exist. We must appreciate the little things and enjoy the imperfections that make up this world. There is beauty in silly adventures, meaningless pursuits, and crazy friends. Life does not have to sparkle to be meaningful" and "It is important to go after what you want. Even if that means putting yourself at risk for failure. The worst possible mistake you can make is to do nothing." GAH THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANNA EXPLORE!!! I'm very excited, I want to make this good. Still don't have an idea of a story, but I do think the genre will be comedy/drama (since those are the main genres of the pieces that I am inspired by) with a target audience of young adults (about 16-22ish). So excited. Gah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 FILM FILE The Life & Go Dept. Clinic POSTCARD Front Back File Link SOCIAL MEDIA Instagram Page