Thursday, March 28, 2024

editing day 1



 Sat my butt down and decided to do a majority of the editing today and save all the audio work for tomorrow. Really straightforward day to be frank, I started editing at around 3PM and finished around 8. Long, yea, but straightforward. Did make some changes during editing, like cutting the Protagonist's line about his eye being infected. It was a cute character moment but it felt out of place and due to how shooting day turned out, the cutting between the Protagonist and Cricket and Jim was too jarring due to the lighting differences. So just cut it out all together and saved some more time. 

I made the film's aspect ratio 4:3, it's not only a style/aesthetic decision but also serves the purpose of the eyepatch, representing the Protagonist's narrow view on life. I was gonna have it change to a standard aspect ratio once he revives himself but it looked too jarring to make a change like that while everything else production wise remains the same so I decided against it, but who knows I might go back on this eventually. Also I had mentioned wanting to use color correction to correct the difference in color (no way right) and lighting between certain shots but I realized that this is pretty much impossible for the most part. The issue is the lighting itself, it's too different between the shots so color correcting wouldn't do much to fix it. Still, color correction may help in some cases so I do think I'll try to do that when I have access to Premiere. 

One really not straightforward thing I did was the Parent Trap / Liv & Maddie split twin effect thing. I wanted a shot of the Protagonist looking at his body while both himself and his body are in the same shot and I knew about this editing trick where you keep the same shot exactly the same and still while shooting two parts of a scene, one with each double person. I don't know if that makes sense. Basically you shoot the scene twice for each twin and then splice the shot down the middle so you can have both in the same frame. And somehow I managed to do it. I am reasonably proud. Shot composition was kinda scuffed thought so I’m not entirely in the frame unfortunately but still cool!

Used the same font for the credits as I did for the business card and yeah that's pretty much it. Like I said, super straightforward. Audio will not be as straightforward but I'll get to that tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 FILM FILE The Life & Go Dept. Clinic POSTCARD Front Back File Link SOCIAL MEDIA Instagram Page