Friday, March 29, 2024

editing day 2

 More frustrating than the last one that's for sure. I was right when I said audio would be less straightforward, this part had some kick to it. I wanted the film to open with a black screen, the sound of the heartbeat is overlaid with the sound of a timer, then the heartbeat stops as the timer continues. I think it's a cool idea that immediately just establishes a centerpiece of the film. At first the timer was more of a clock ticking but I changed to more of a kitchen timer sound later on. Did this so the sound is actually a timer instead of the ticking of some watch or clock.

A large struggle was avoiding complete silence and always having some sort of ambience playing, the absence of ambience would be super jarring so I always made sure to keep some noise on at all times. There wasn't much Foley to do since a majority of the film's audio is just dialogue with some sound effects here and there (mostly the timer and the heartbeat), additionally a lot of diegetic sound effects were picked up during filming so that spared me some blood, sweat, and tears today. There was one scene that needed a lot of Foley to pull off and that is the montage sequence of the Protagonist rotting in his room before Cricket and Jim arrive. First thing I added to this sequence was the diegetic sound of keyboard typing, mouse clicking, and audio from the phone, but I knew it would not be enough. I needed some sort of nondiegetic audio to be played in the cuts and throughout. That's when the idea came to me to use wind sound effects to emphasize the emptiness of the sequence. It's so devoid of life, the sound of wind really helps emphasize this so that was a great idea by me good job me. I also added a fly buzzing sound effect when it cuts to the rotten apple. This sequence was mainly inspired by Edgar Wright's style of quick cuts in a montage sequence (here's two videos showing what I mean, from The World's End  and Shaun of the Dead). Though, looking back, I should have reviewed how he does it more closely since he uses zooms while I did not at all. Mine still turned out swell anyways I think.

Audio was pretty straightforward until the scene of the protagonist looking at his body being carried. This. Damn. Scene. I had no clue what to do for the audio. At first I thought I'd put some guitar over it as nondiegetic track but no matter how many variations of guitar I would play and put over it, it just wouldn't fit. This took so long. I could not crack the code. After God knows how many hours, I watched the scene in silence, no audio, then realized that it works fine with no soundtrack. ughibfdjk,b. Cool. I put the same wind sound effect over it to really give it that dreadful feeling of being dead and reflecting on your life. Then came the crawling scene and once again I was met with the realization that this scene needed a soundtrack over it. This one actually needed it by the way it didn't really work too well with just diegetic sound. So I played my guitar over and over and over until I got one chord progression that I liked and boom! It kind just worked. Yay! For the credits, I adjusted the progression a bit and played it differently and bam! It worked! Yay! I am so tired! I'm gonna go get peer reviewed. Goodbye.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

 FILM FILE The Life & Go Dept. Clinic POSTCARD Front Back File Link SOCIAL MEDIA Instagram Page